Over recent years, technology has become increasingly ingrained in a broader selection of industries. Cloud computing, data analytics, IoT, and similar innovations have allowed tech to become relevant in unexpected ways. Additionally, cybersecurity and data security have become critical practically across the board, and an increasing number of companies are developing their own applications.
Implementing and maintaining these solutions led to an increase in demand for IT talent and, subsequently, a boost in the economy. If you are wondering how IT jobs are bolstering the United State’s economy, here’s what you need to know.
Just as technology is constantly evolving, so is the complex IT job market. Knowing the latest hiring, salary, and industry trends can help IT professionals navigate the tech job industry, and be prepared to advance their careers with upcoming opportunities.
The recently released 2015 Modis Salary Guide for Tech Professionals reveals very promising news for tech professionals in the near future, with a look at the overall tech job market as well as the hottest IT careers over the next few years. Here’s what IT pros can look forward to for in-demand jobs with great salaries.
The IT jobs market at a glance
Overall, tech job continue to show rapid growth across multiple sectors. The report from Modis projects that while other industries will experience 10.8 percent employment growth by 2022, IT jobs are expected to show 18 percent growth in the same time period.
In the United States, 685,000 new tech jobs are projected to be added by 2022.
Most in-demand IT jobs
The IT job market is generally growing across all areas, but some sectors are hotter than others. Here are the tech careers that will be the most in demand — and some of the highest paid — over the next few years:
Analysts: Systems analysts jobs are expected to grow 25 percent by 2022. An example of the projected salary in this sector is Business Data Analyst II (mid-level), with a salary range of $55,376 to $86,535, and an average salary of $70,453.
Health IT: The value of the health IT sector is expected to reach $56.7 billion by 2017. Some of the most in-demand jobs for this sector include:
- Revenue cycle analyst (salary range $36,892 - $71,829; average salary $51,930)
- Clinical systems analyst (salary range $64,927 - $101,154; average salary $82,454)
- Clinical informaticist (salary range $42,282 - $74,147; average salary $55,728)
Database development, administration, and business intelligence: With big data becoming a must for many businesses, database and analyst related jobs are projected to show a 15 percent growth by 2022. Positions in high demand include:
- Data scientist (salary range $79,285 - $138,281; average salary $109,260)
- Database administrator (salary range $81,497 - $129,993; average salary $107,130)
- Business intelligence specialist (salary range $88,930 - $137,534; average salary $110,197)
Programming and software engineering: These positions are constantly in demand, and developer jobs are expected to show 22 percent growth by 2022. Some of the top positions for this sector include:
- Applications engineer, entry level (salary range $45,069 - $80,665; average salary $59,355)
- Applications engineer, advanced (salary range $86,819 - $156,118; average salary $122,627)
- Programmer III, mid-level (salary range $71,616 - $111,422; average salary $90,528)
- Software engineer II, mid-level (salary range $62,811 - $96,472; average salary $78,410)
- .NET developer (salary range $55,689 - $95,556; average salary $75,995)
Project management: This area has a growth forecast of 15 percent by 2022. Anticipated salaries for project managers include:
- IT project manager I, entry (salary range $51,173 - $101,266; average salary $76,282)
- IT project manager III, senior (salary range $81,603 - $129,987; average salary $107,203)
Security: Another area that is always in demand, the growth forecast for security and security analyst jobs is robust at 37 percent by 2022. Some of the most sought-after IT security jobs will include:
- Security administrator (salary range $50,812 - $108,106; average salary $74,917)
- Systems security analyst (salary range $62,102 - $111,026; average salary $84,941)
- Data security manager (salary range $91,305 - $157,778; average salary $115,415)
Web development: High-end web developer positions are projected to grow 20 percent by 2022. The most popular positions in this sector include:
- Web application developer (salary range $52,462 - $84,613; average salary $66,212)
- Interface design director (average salary $129,421 - $179,701; average salary $155,669)