Software engineering is a broad spectrum of an occupation and has a wide variety of different roles. There are hundreds of software applications to work on, from one designed in-house to a massive enterprise application. With so many diverse options, how do you market yourself to stand out?
- Diversify. If you’re shooting for a specific niche, ignore this step; however, you will also pass by potentially dozens of other opportunities while you’re doing so. If you’re looking for more options beyond a specific niche, broaden your horizons, especially on your resume. Focus several bullet points on your accomplishments in a narrow area, but continue to expand your knowledge. This changes prospective employers from seeing you as a C++ or Oracle implementation expert to a true engineer with a variety of skill sets.
- Start a blog. Blogs can increase web traffic and a following, but they also provide a tool that separates you from many other software engineers. Moreover, it offers you an opportunity to showcase your subject matter expertise, as well as interact with others – and maybe learn a thing or two in the process, while informing visitors. Put the link on a resume or LinkedIn profile and it allows a recruiter to see your skill sets before they even contact you, generating interest.
- Network. This cannot be understated. Find a local networking group and meet people. Follow up with them via LinkedIn, Twitter or email. Establish rapport.
- Social Media. While probably the most obvious, this is often the most mismanaged. The beauty of social media is that you can market yourself as a true expert in engineering and your specific role simultaneously. You are able to share valuable information with your personal network. Build your personal network and provide valuable resources to them. Also, join LinkedIn groups and participate in discussions to establish thought leadership.
- Pair with a staffing firm. Staffing firms understand the value of the overall concepts in your given field, as well as the individual accomplishments and where they’re the best fit. They know what businesses are looking for, and they know what you have to offer. In many situations, this is the best of both worlds, because agencies look for the best candidate for a company, and the best company for a candidate. This makes for an ideal match and long-term job satisfaction.
At The Armada Group, that’s exactly what we do. We take time to get to know you, and what you have to offer in order to better pair you together with a company where you can be successful. We work with some of the most innovative companies in the world, and we want you to be a part of our success. If you are looking for software engineering employment in Silicon Valley, contact us today.